Quarterly MPA Membership Meeting &
Updates on "Michigan's Medical Marijuana Law"
MPA’s Quarterly Meeting was held on Tuesday, March 6th, in Lansing. Alan Cropsey, Legislative Director, from the Michigan Attorney General’s Office and former Senator was one of the speakers. He provided an update on the status of the Medical Marijuana bills headed to the legislature.
The bills would amend various acts related to medical marihuana to:
· Require ID cards to contain a photo.
· Require ID cards to be valid for two years
· Privatize portions of the application process
· Revise confidentiality provisions for private vendors
· Define “bona fide physician-patient relationship
· Place the penalty for selling marijuana within the sentencing guidelines
· Regulate the transportation of medical marihuana in a motor vehicle and penalties for
Our second speaker was Felix Sharpe (below), Director of the Division of Prevention, Treatment and Recovery Services, Bureau of Substance Abuse and Addiction Services and he gave an update on substance abuse prevention in Michigan. Director Sharpe identified the Recovery System of Care and Prevention Prepared Communities as the way for future prevention in Michigan.